Cheese Apple Squares
Doreen Wallace, Princeton, ME
January 2019 Business Meeting Refreshments
A very good fall dessert. My dad always says, "Apple Pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeese." I find this is a lot easier to make than Apple Pie and he likes it just as much.
Servings: 15-24 pieces in a 9" x 13" pan
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs or quick oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ cup butter, cubed (add ¼ tsp. salt if using unsalted butter)
6-8 slices of American or cheddar cheese (enough to just about cover the crumbs)
3 ½ cups peeled, sliced apples
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. apple pie spices
½ cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans
1. Pulse first 5 ingredients in a food processor until crumbly: set aside 1 ½ cups of crumbs. Pat remaining crumbs into 9" x 13" pan which has been lightly sprayed with Pam.
2. Place cheese slices over crumbs.
3. Combine apples, sugar and spice. Sprinkle on top of cheese slices.
4. Mix nuts with crumbs that were set aside in Step 1 and sprinkle over apples.
5. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and store in refrigerator.
NOTE: I use cheese slices from the deli and have then sliced a little thicker than slices from a package.